One of the MANY reasons we love roller skating is that it is simultaneously fun and beneficial to our health. Its benefits as an exercise range far and wide, so naturally, we like to promote healthy living practices at Skateland. While exercise is great for muscle growth, weight loss and cardio, a well-rounded and healthy life cannot be achieved just through regular exercise. It’s important to focus on other areas as well, like what we eat and drink from day to day. Planning a healthy meal is difficult in and of itself, but much of our so called junk food is consumed when we snack. This is especially true for kids. If you are a parent, you know how difficult it can be to keep snacks in the house that your kids enjoy and are healthy. We have a few unhealthy snacks and a great alternative listed below to help get you started!
For The Sweet Tooth
- Everyone has had a craving for something sweet at some point in their life, and kids are no exception. It’s easy to stock up on sugary snacks, but as most of your are aware things like Gushers are not exemplary snacking options. So, instead opt for something sweet AND nutritious.
- Gushers – These fruit snacks contain 90 calories and 25 grams of sugar.
- Real Fruit Snacks – Opt for the real thing! Fruits like blueberries contain 80 calories and 15 grams of sugar for an entire cup, and the sugars are natural instead of an added sweetener.
- When we go to the movies or binge watch Netflix, often times we gravitate to the saltier snacks like buttery popcorn or potato chips. But these snacks don’t come with much of a nutritional value.
- Potato Chips – These salty snacks have 152 calories and 2 mg of sodium for 1 oz.
- Kale Chips – These healthier counterparts typically contain about 50 calories and if you bake them yourself you can add as much or little salt as you want.
These are just a couple of examples of how much healthier alternative snacking options can be. Healthy eating is important so encourage your children to try many different foods, and odds are they will find something they love!