So, you’ve discovered the wonderful world of roller skating? First of all, welcome! Roller skating might appear to be difficult to master at first, but once you have a good foundation of skills, you’ll be well on your way to being a pro! If you have visited the rink, you can tell from everyone’s mood that this is a fun activity! So, what’s next, and how do you get started? Skateland in Haverhill, Massachusetts has a checklist of things to get you on your way!
What will you need?
- To begin roller skating you first need the, well, skates. But since you are a first timer, some safety equipment is a great tool to have while you’re learning. Elbow pads, knee pads and a helmet will help keep you protected while you’re getting the hang of things.
- You’re all geared up, so now it’s time for the fun part! Before you start rolling around the rink, and doing tricks, you need to know the basics.
- Place your feet shoulder width apart.
- Bend you knees and squat slightly. This will give you a bit more spring, and aid your balance.
- Find a sweet spot with this general stance that you feel comfortable with.
- You’ve got the stance down, now let’s get moving!
- To start rolling around the rink, position your toes outward and your heels inward.
- Practice walking like this until you find your balance. You may fall a few times trying to get it just right, but that’s what the pads are for! After a while, you will gain more confidence and be well on your way.
- Start to move your feet more quickly, and take longer strides.
- Begin to push off harder with one foot while you glide on the other. Glide farther and farther distances
Look, you’re roller skating! It’s always a great idea to take someone with you that has previous experience to help get you up to speed.